Thursday, December 18, 2008

SMART farewell

Today we went to Olive Garden, a well known Italian restaurant in US. It's not that I've not been to an Olive Garden before, it's just that today was a special occasion. My farewell after four years of service at Nashville office. Even though I have another month to spend here but the farewell was planned today as my manager ST will be out office in the first half of January. And a lot of the people would be travelling during the Christmas and New years holidays.

The travel from office to this restaurant was about 20 miles (yes I checked the trip meter). We were total 8 people. We split ourselves in two cars. ST took a fast route on interstate to reach there early. DD, who had an accident couple of months back refrained herself from driving on interstate. I quickly opted for riding with DD to be able to see the scenic country side roads, which I have not seen in all my 4 years in the city. At the end I did not regret my decision, the ride was fantastic. For a change it was good to be riding rather than driving :)

It was first time for some people at this restaurant, because of it's prices. As we entered in, ST & group were already there and had asked for a table of 8. UK had got her camera to capture the moments. So as we were waiting to get a table for us, we started clicking some pictures. Oops! Juster after few pictures the battery went down. UK was shocked, "I charged the batteries last night". We started teasing UK for her negligence on batteries. She was still determined to capture moments. She took GJ with her to nearby Office Depot store to buy a pair of batteries, though it was drizzling outside.

30 minutes went by but we were still waiting for a table. "What a crap!", that's what you could see on everybody's faces. Finally the waitress came to the group and explained that the problem is there is no table ready for 8 people. They will have to join 2 tables but they are not getting any two adjacent tables free at the same time. She suggested we can sit on two different tables, adjacent to each other but they cannot be moved as they are fixed to the wall. Huh! ST went into to check the position and location, and we got ok.

As we started sitting around the table, UK and GJ were also back with the batteries. We were on two different tables but not far but not very comfortable, as the idea was to have lunch together. Which means more than just eating food together. Luckily one other table which was adjacent to the other side and movable, got empty in the time our waitress got our drinks. We decided to join that table and move one half on the group. This felt better, everybody enjoying the lunch together.

All our orders were taken and we were waiting for the food now. All the gossip and chit chatting continued. Suddenly ST said, "Are you ready with your speech". "What speech", shockingly I answered. "I don't know any speech, I ain't giving any speech here". Everybody started to force me in a teasing manner but I kept on neglecting there request.

The food was good. I didn't experiment on my dish, I just ordered what I have eaten in past here. There are not many dishes to experiment for in US for vegetarian people. I was the only veggie in the group, but everybody liked the food. ST's speech request resurged once in a while, "We will hear your speech with dessert". And I spoke to myself, there is nothing for me to give a speech. I'm not a celebrity here, we have just come to enjoy a lunch together.

By the time it was time for dessert everybody was full up to throat. Nobody had any room for a single bite of dessert. "No dessert, no speech. Since there is no room for dessert so I don't have to give any speech now". Everybody started answering together, "No, no! if that's that case then we will order one dish and eat it later". "Then I'll give the speech when you eat it", I replied. I knew there was no escape. I used to be the one who would pull everybody's leg in such kind of situations and this time I'm at the receiving end. What you sow is what you reap :).

"It has been a great pleasure to be working with you people. I know a lot of people I worked with in past are not here to hear me but everything would not have been so great without colleagues like you all. I had spent 4 years in college to get a bachelors degree, and I can relate my 4 years in Nashville to same. So I feel like I'm a double graduate now. I don't know at this point what future holds for me. I've lot of plans but not everything will go as per my plan but I'll keep you all posted. All the best to all of you for future". That was my short and sweet speech. It was an emotional moment. It's hard to walk out of niche that unknowingly builds around you, but you realize it only when you leave it.

ST said, "Well, it has been a pleasure to have you here. You have been an asset to the team. Continue your good work. We will miss you here". Everybody wished me good luck. And the lunch ended with a different scenic ride back to office. I'll miss my SMART team.

(p.s. - No offence to any other team. SMART is a noun here and not an adjective)

No comments: