Monday, December 08, 2008

Getting ready for Christmas

Friday, Dec 5th 2008:
It's Christmas month. Lights everywhere. Cold weather. Christmas tress. Santa Claus. And last but not the least, 12 days of Christmas.

Most of you must be wondering what is this 12 days of Christmas? Well at first even I didn't know about it. So I tried to gather some information about it from various sources. The 12 days of Christmas is also referred as Christmastide. The Christmastide starts from the evening of 25th Dec and ends on 12th evening i.e. 5th Jan, because 6th Jan is the day when Magi visited infant Jesus (as per Bible). So people keep on the festivities from Christmas for another 12 days. In some places, by superstition it has become bad luck to leave the decorations up after twelfth night.

Now in modern days, the 12 days and nights are celebrated in widely varying ways around the world. For example, some give gifts only on Christmas night, some only on Twelfth Night, and some each of the 12 nights (I would love last option as long as I don't have to give any :)). To my surprise in US the 12 days of Christmas are celebrated before Christmas and not after Christmas as the ancient documentation suggested. There is this famous song about 12 days of Christmas,
On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
A partridge in a pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Eight maids a-milking, Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Nine ladies dancing, Eight maids a-milking, Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Ten lords a-leaping, Nine ladies dancing, Eight maids a-milking, Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Eleven pipers piping, Ten lords a-leaping, Nine ladies dancing, Eight maids a-milking, Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming, Eleven pipers piping, Ten lords a-leaping, Nine ladies dancing, Eight maids a-milking, Seven swans a-swimming, Six geese a-laying, Five golden rings, Four calling birds, Three French hens, Two turtle doves, And a partridge in a pear tree!


Coming on to how it is celebrated in our office is another variety and I'm sure lot of offices must be doing it. We put down an empty list on the notice board. The list contains the date with blank space in front. There are two entries for each day. Now each person in the office has to write there name on the sheet at least once, which denotes he or she has to get some snack or dessert to office on that day for everybody to share.

It's fun and lot of weight gaining (for the ones on diet).

Monday, Dec 8th 2008:
So today is the first day as part of celebrating Christmastide. My roommate AT was one of the two volunteers for getting today's feast. We went to Krispy Kreme and bought variety of doughnuts for everybody. Everyone enjoyed it, as not a single piece was left till end of the day. I have volunteered for next Monday. Lets see what I come up with...

No comments: