Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book vs Movie

Recently I watched the movie Hello!. I had lot of excitement to watch the movie. I had heard so much about Chetan Bhagat's book "One night at the call centre" that I could wait to see it on the big screen. I personally had not read the book (as I'm not into reading books at all) but .

When I finished watching the movie I was wondering how come people like the book. The book does not seem to be worth the praise it gets. Then I discussed the same with my roommate (Mr. R) who has read the book, and no surprise he also liked the book. He had not watched the movie, so I started describing my points what was shown in the movie.

Surprisingly, Mr. R said everything in the movie is same as book. The characterization, the plot the sequence everything is the same. Then after thinking more about it I realized that the whole difference lies in how everything is shown.

The movie moves around 6 colleagues working in a call centre. If I was reading the book I would have imagined a room full of people with computers lined up in rows and everybody continuously murmuring in there headsets. In the movie it was shown that in the entire room there were only these 6 people with everybody having there own private desk.

Similarly, there are several other things which you will imagine based on your experience when you read a book but the way it is shown in movie is more hypothetical than being realistic. This is what makes reading a book a much much better choice than watching the same on big screen.

PS: Is "lord of rings" better in movie or in book?

No comments: