Friday, February 24, 2006

A casual walk

After almost 1.5 yrs I went for a walk into the market and the streets around my house in Delhi. As I cautiously walked through the busy road I could smell, feel and see the dust around. A sweeper was sweeping the road, more than cleaning he was raising the dust. The roads had not changed at all...all dig up, with waste lying besides...As usual.

I could hardly recognize anybody now. I remember when I was regular I used to recognize ppl on bus stops, kids waiting for school bus, the sweeper, the std booth etc etc. Though I never talked or knew anybody's name but I used to recognize them. Today every one has changed not a single person is same.

I reached our old known milk shop(we have been buying milk from the same shop for almost 10 yrs now). As I stood in the queue I could recognize one face. "Good Morning uncle, how are you?" I asked the shop owner. He smiled, "Good morning, son. How r ur studies going on?". He still thought m still studying some where in some other city. I told him I've been working now and was in US for last 1 yr and have come for a months vacation. As I told him this, his expressions changed. "Every intelligent person goes to US, do something for your country". I went silent for a minute, wondering what to say. Then came another one "So u r going to settle there". "No uncle", I said confidently. "I know son, everybody says like that but no one comes back. My brother is a doctor, he went there and never came back". But still I insisted "Don't worry I'll come back". See you again have a good day.

As I walked through the other shops, I could recognize them but none of them recognized me as I was not very frequent to any other shop around. With this small walk I understood how things change with time. Today when I walk through the streets around my appt in Nashville ppl recognize me but when I walk through my childhood streets I feel left alone.

2 comments:

Shruthi said...

That's very true, but very sad yaar...
But what were you doing walkin around with chicken pox? :D

Bhupi said...

u know I'm not a sit at one place kinna guy. I was fed up of being locked to the bed so i went out for a small walk.