Saturday, January 28, 2006

In Mumbai, child abuse begins at home

In Mumbai, child abuse begins at home. And I think its not just Mumbai but many other cities where such incidents happen. Apart from this these are just a few which we know of and rest are lost in the busy and MEAN world.

The debate my mind is having over this is "Should the parents be allowed to do all this as they are doing it for a kids good future" or "Its just unacceptable to punish kids so heartlessly".

I remember the day when i was punished for whole day bcoz i had not done homework for last six months and I was successfully able to hide it from parents and teacher(i was not the naughty one but I just hated history). My teacher kept a pencil between my fingers and pressed my fingers hard. Ouch!!!! it was very painful. This was done a few times, can't remember the count and then was asked to stand outside the class for whole day. I was quite ashamed for week everybody in the class, in the school bus and all teachers were dicussing about me. Since that day I never missed my homework come what may. And beleive me I'm thankful to my history teacher for what she did.

But, but, but does that mean punishment should not have any limits. I strongly resist. Punishment should be such which should make u feel bad about what u have done and not give pain forever. Thinking of all this I was thinking should the American Child laws be applied in India. Will our Indian society ever accept such laws for safety of a child???

3 comments:

silverine said...

Abuse of children have to stop. Your teacher could have merely sent you out without hurting your fingers. We desperately need strong laws to protect children for they are the future citizens of this country.

Bhupi said...

I agree that we need laws but that does not meas there should be no punishment. Its hard to explain but if it was not punishment I would not have been where I'm today.

Bhupi said...

@ silver: Btw thanks for being here.